Mohamed A. Imam
MD, MSc (Orth)(Hons), DSportMed, ELP (Oxon), PhD, FRCS (Tr and Orth)
Professor Imam is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon in the renowned Rowley Bristow Orthopaedic Centre, Chertsey, Surrey. He serves as a board member in the trust board. He is the clinical lead in the department. He is also a Professor at the University of East London, leading research on artificial and machine intelligence clinical applications in surgery. He is the founder and the executive Medical Director of the newly developed Smart Health Centre in London. He is a faculty member in multiple institutions, nationally and internationally.
He is an international committee member, academic, editorial board, examiner, innovator, and reviewer in numerous international societies and institutions. Professor Imam is a fellowship-trained trauma and upper limb surgeon. He has co-founded the Intelligent Health academic group at the University of East London. He is one of four surgeons who are members of the National Committee of shoulder and Elbow Research in the British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS). He has founded the OrthoGlobe Initiative and co-founded the FRCS Mentors Initiative. He founded the MedDots Research Academy.
He was awarded multiple distinctive international awards and travelling fellowships from the NHS Academy, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT), International Trauma Foundation (AO) and others.
He had a fellowship in orthopaedic and trauma surgery presented to him by The Royal College of Surgeons of England. He also holds a master’s degree in orthopaedics with distinction;, He holds a Ph.D. Degree in Musculoskeletal Sciences on the healing of rotator cuff repairs. He has obtained a post-graduate Executive Leadership degree from Oxford University.
Professor Imam teaches and lectures extensively. He authored two books, one on the uses of stem cells in orthopaedics and another text atlas in shoulder arthroscopy. His current research interests include novel materials, ligament and cartilage regeneration, minimally invasive fracture fixation devices, arthroscopy outcomes and techniques to aid rapid return to sport after injury.
His academic work has been received highly and he won different awards and prizes. He has designed Orthopaedic instruments, designed and published different techniques, authored more than 100 scientific papers, completed two Degree level theses including a Ph.D. on rotator cuff tendon healing and successfully filed patents. His work is well-published and has won several awards.
Professor Imam is fully trained in all aspects of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery and uses the latest technology in diagnostic investigation, including MRI arthrography, 3-D CT scanning, high definition ultrasound, digital radiology, nuclear medicine scanning, and electromyography.
Following the completion of specialist training, He undertook upper limb fellowships at distinguished centres of excellence. These included fellowships training at internationally recognised units within the UK: the Wrightington Upper Limb Unit, an Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence, and at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham and a complex trauma fellowship in a leading trauma centre in Oxford University Hospitals.
He undertook international fellowships including a fellowship with Professor Christian Gerber; the world-leading pioneer of modern shoulder surgery, Der Balgrist University Orthopaedic Centre in Zurich, Switzerland, which is world-renowned for upper limb treatment, sports injury and primary and revision upper limb joint replacement and to augment his trauma experience, he undertook complex trauma fellowships in the BGU Trauma centre in Ludwigshafen, Germany.
He undertook travelling fellowships to gain an up-to-date international experience in Mayo Clinic, Minnesota, The Steadman clinic in Colorado, Stanford University Hospital in California, Munich and Madrid University Hospitals where he worked with top upper limb and trauma surgeons in the world. He also undertook multiple clinical visitations to different elite centres in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
Professor Imam has been a speaker at academic and social platforms both at local and national levels, advocating for patient-centred and value-based healthcare. He is a professor at the University of East London leading research looking at the utilisation of artificial and machine intelligence in Surgery.
Providing both surgical and non-surgical treatment for conditions affecting the shoulder, elbow, hand and wrist, Prof Imam works with a multidisciplinary team of radiologists, anaesthetists (specialised in Upper Limb Regional Nerve Blockade), physiotherapists and occupational hand therapists. His use of the very latest investigative techniques and technologies allows him to offer an informed and expert diagnosis and his specialist expertise in arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery mean that, where surgical treatment is indicated, he is able to offer the least invasive procedure possible. He has performed the first NextAR augmented reality shoulder replacement in England to improve the accuracy of the undertaken procedure.
In addition, Professor Imam is highly skilled in techniques to treat arthritis in the shoulder, elbow, wrist and finger joints, including joint replacement surgery for cases where other treatments have proved ineffective.
- Oct 2017 — ISAKOS Upper Extremity Award (2017 -2018). International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports medicine (ISAKOS)
- Jun 2017 — The Edward Jenner NHS Leadership Award. NHS Leadership Academy, NHS England.
- Jun 2017 — Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Award. Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA).
- Mar 2017 — AAOS International Scholar: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Jun 2015 — EFORT Foundation Award. European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EFORT)
- Jan 2011 — AO Travelling Trauma Fellowship. AO Foundation, Davos, Switzerland.
- Invigilator and Examiner in the Medical Licensing exam, General Medical Council, UK
- National Research Committee member, British Elbow and Shoulder Society, UK.
- GMC Station Management Panel Member, General Medical Council, UK
- Medical performance Assessment Panel, General Medical Council, UK.
- ISAKOS Young Professionals Task Force Committee Member, International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, USA.
- Associate Editor and Editorial Board member BMC Series International, London, UK.
- Editorial Board and Reviewer in more than 20 international Medical Journals.
- Course Convenor, Chertsey FRCS course, Chertsey, Surrey, UK
- Training director, Accredited International Teaching Centre, ISAKOS, UK
- Co-Founder and Board Member of the FRCS mentor Initiative, London, UK.
- Founder of the OrthoGlobe initiative. An international Collaborative aiming at improving global outcomes of musculoskeletal research.
- UNICEF UK Champion, London, UK.
- Accredited FIFA Medical Network member, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Professor and MD, Smart Health Academic Unit, University of East London, London.
- Consultant Trauma, Sports and Orthopaedic surgeon, NHS, England. bio
- Specialist Register Trauma and Orthopaedics, General Medical Council, UK
- Fellow, The Royal College of Surgeons, London, UK
- Gold member, AO Trauma Foundation, Davos, Switzerland.
- National Research Committee member and active member, British Elbow and Shoulder Society, UK
- Member, European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow, Lyon, France.
- International Scholar and Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, USA
- Faculty, Trainer, Committee member, International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, USA.
- Member, Fragility Fracture Network UK.
- Member, British Trauma Society, UK.
- Member, FIFA Medical Network, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Member, Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK. bio
Books and Book chapters
Editor and contributor of 6 textbook chapters: MA Imam, M Snow; Expanded cells and BMC Uses in Orthopaedics, Bentham Publishing Group.
- Editor: MA Imam, L Funk, Shoulder Arthroscopy Atlas. SPRINGER.
Ski Touring injuries, In book: Injury and Health Risk Management in Sports. SPRINGER,
DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-60752-7_80 April 2020.
Canyoning Injuries, In book: Injury and Health Risk Management in Sports. SPRINGER,
DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-60752-7_80 April 2020.
Acromioclavicular Joint Injuries. Sports Injuries of the Shoulder, 01/2020: pages 153-178; ISBN: 978-3-030-23028-9, DOI:10.1007/978-3-030-23029-6_8
Role of BMAC in Avascular Necrosis. BMC in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers.,
Clinical Applications in tendons pathology. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7
BMC in Foot and Ankle Surgery. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7.
BMC in Nerve and Spinal Cord Injury. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7.
Clinical Applications in Cartilage Pathology. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7.
Management of Osteoarthritis. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7
Background of BMC and Expanded Cells. BMC and Expanded Cell Applications in Orthopaedics, 06/2018; Bentham Science Publishers., ISBN: 978-1-68108-650-7
How to Design Clinical Trials of Cells and BMC in Orthopedic Surgery. 04/2018;
Ethics in the Clinical Use and Research of Cells and BMC. 04/2018;
- UNICEF Booklet “ UNICEF Step by step Guide for Fundraising” by UNICEF UK, April 2013.
Books & Publications
Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate and Expanded Stem Cell Applications in Orthopaedics